Jamhuri ya Muungano wa Tanzania
Ofisi ya Rais
Tume ya Utumishi wa Umma
Functions of PSC
In accordance with Section 10 (1) of the Public Service Act No. 8 of 2002 as amended by Public Service (Amendments) Act No. 18 of 2007, the Commission has the following functions:
· To advise the President through the President's Office, Public Service Management on the exercise of such of the functions conferred on the President by Article 36 of the Constitution, and Section 4(1) and 5(1) of the Act and in respect of filling of such vacancies in the Public Service as the President may require.
· To assist the President in relation to such matters relating to the Public Service as the President may require.
· To issue guidelines and monitor compliance in the Public Service.
· To receive and act on appeals from the decision of other delegates and Disciplinary Authorities.
· To facilitate, monitor and evaluate performance by officials in the Service to secure result oriented management.
· To ensure that Service Schemes are formulated and implemented effectively.
· To exercise any other functions which may be conferred upon it under Part VI of the Public Service Act No. 8 of 2002.
· To perform such other functions as may be conferred upon it the Commission by or under any written Law.
Powers of PSC
In order to ensure that employees, employers, Appointing and Disciplinary Authorities in the Public Service comply with rules, regulations and procedures, PSC is vested with the following powers:
· To call upon all all Executives in the Public Service to account for their performance should the Commission be sized with evidence or complaints indicating mismanagement or non-performance of a mission.
· To take measures in relation to any executive who fails to take action concerning public servants under him in accordance with the requirements of the law for the service.
· To confirm, vary or rescind the decision of the Disciplinary Authority appealed against.
· To demand information from Employing or Disciplinary Authorities and where such Employing or Disciplinary Authorities fail to provide information as required by the Commission, the Commission shall report the failure to the Chief Secretary who shall take appropriate action.